Tuesday, November 15, 2011

First quilts from around 2004 - 2005


East West 18" x 20" Made originally with an East-West theme for the 2005 SCVQA show, with my first painting on fabric, a painted Chinese picture and a crochet doily. The flowers were cut from printed fabric.


Sea Vessels  18" x 22" One of my first wall hangings, designed to match the sea theme at Brighton Marina, and the curtains in the spare bedroom, where it now resides. Paper piecing method used.



Sailing 12" x 10" A very small sea theme for the spare bedroom -  this one has a painted sea with appliqued boats and machine quilting.  This is first of several wall hangings where I have a pieced border using the fabrics/colors that are in the main picture.  I like this effect.

Hamilton Ct  14" x 11" A very simplified impression of the block of flats across the water from St. Vincents Ct, mostly pieced with some machine applique.
In the Woods. 16" x 13"  Painted background and painted appliqued trees, plus some printed fabric.   



Fremont Older Open Space, Cupertino, from Hunter's Point.  14" x 18" A favorite place to hike, with quite a steep climb at the end.  This view is from the top looking back down the path.  Raw edge applique and machine embroidery.



Violets  12" x 10" The background is painted and the petals and leaves placed to match the background colors.   




My Favorite Things 21" x 19" I had two attempts at producing the stained glass effect on the lamp.  This version has a solid black background with the pieces fused in place leaving gaps for the "lead".  The rose is three dimensional.  Another matching pieced border.



















1 comment:

  1. What an incredible array of work! I'm amazed by the number of different techniques you've used. I especially like "Zelda," the sampler, and "Diamonds and Squares." My very favorite is the charming "Critters." It's so playful and it makes me to keep looking atit as I discover a new cat. Only change I would make to your wonderful blog-give the sizes of all pieces. Thanks so very much for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete