Scenes from Brighton & East Sussex, England 40" x 44"
An embroidery project worked on over many years, taking as long to photograph, design and draw the panels as it took to stitch them. Getting them all to fit together was also a challenge. The embroidery is like traditional red-work (using back-stitch) but done in a green embroidery floss.
Completed December 2016
3D Flowers - Hydrangeas and Clematis 18" x 18"
Another project to create a three dimensional effect.
Garden Quilt 65" x 60"
My quilt has hand appliqued flowers (mostly from my own drawings), with machine quilting. This simple sentence conveys nothing of the hours, weeks, months, years it has taken me to actually create it. It started as a hand sewing project, and as each set of flowers materialized I knew I had to do something with them.
Easier if I had planned the layout/sizes etc. before starting, but that would have been too simple. The machine quilting was an ordeal all on its own - I don't understand how "real" quilters do this! Anyway I am proud of the result! Completed 2014
Fuchsias 9" x 11"
I have been wanting to make some 3D flowers, and I was inspired again this summer in England by gardens full of huge bushes of them. I painted the background first in a pale wash. Then painted leaves and flowers, using aquarelle crayons and fabric paint, and then added machine appliqued flowers and leaves, and finally attached the 3D fuchsias. The white flowers (seed beads) at the base was inspired by the endless fuchsia hedgerows we saw in Ireland several years ago, where the fluffy white blossoms made such a beautiful contrast with the wild fuchsia and their dark leaves. 2015
Kaleidoscope 30" diameter
I used the techniques created by Ricky Tims from an online tutorial. Complicated, but interesting the way it all came together in the end. Probably got a bit too "busy" but you don't know that until its all put together! 2015
Little Mix 15" x 13" Another project for/with Natalie. Her favorite singing group (when we started two years ago - 2012). She lost interest and I finished it all. I think she cut out the stars! 2014
Sewing Box (and bowl for scrap threads) 8" diameter x 3" high.
Covered foam-core board and quilted outer fabric, hand-stitched together. Crocheted border on lid. Bowl uses Timtex. Not exactly a quilt, but...... I loved making them, and they are very useful when hand-sewing.
|Dyed and Folded 27" x 30" A project to use the fabrics created at a session on shaving cream dying a few years ago, together with some samples of folding & tucking from Jennie Rayment's book, "Creative Tucks & Textures". 2012|
|Jessie Jay 14" x 12" Another summer project with Natalie, her idea, my design, she coloured and cut, and with her nimble fingers peeled off all the fusible backing papers, and I sewed. |
|65" x 65" Another scrap quilt 2011|
|Table Topper. 28" From a pattern in a library book. I love the weaving effect and it gave me the opportunity to try the kaleidoscope principle (never again). Its a very clever pattern - a triangle block turned different ways. 2011|